Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What's there to be scared of?

In a  deliciously enticing conversation with a friend, I grieved over my inhibition to write.  How I am afraid of failing.  How not writing, not creating is safer than failing.  He asked, "What are you scared of?  Two little letters - 'n' and 'o'?"

The answer is yes.  I am the guilty party.  I tell myself no assuming that others will tell me no, and what that no depicts varies...  Is [it] good?  Am I talented?  Am I worthy?  Do I have what it takes?  Will anyone care?  The list goes on, but the one thing that doesn't change is that I answer my own questions, and not nicely.

My friend joked and mentioned the Yes Man movie and how instead, I should write about the no's.
He's right.  I have to right about the No before I can teach myself Yes.  I have to face my fear.  I have to own it.  Sit in it.  Remind myself that No can actually be good sometimes.

So not tonight, maybe not tomorrow, but I plan to face my No's.

No becomes a Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment